Return to Skip Menu
CNSR News Archives
- May 2015: Prof. Lou received Virginia Tech College of Engineering Dean's Award for Research Excellence, in recognition of her extraordinary performance in research (CoE news release, and CS news).
- Jan. 2015: Prof. Hou has been named an IEEE Communications Society Distinguished Lecturer (DL) for 2015-2016. As a DL, Tom will present invited lectures on his research to some local chapters of the society.
- Dec 2014: Prof. Hou was the Keynote Speaker at the 10th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Networks (MSN) in Maui, Hawaii, USA. His keynote talk was titled "Advances in Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks for Cyber Physical Systems." (conference web page)
- Nov. 2014: Prof. Wenjing Lou has been named an IEEE Fellow for contributions to information and network security. IEEE Fellow is the highest grade of membership and is recognized by the technical community as a prestigious honor and an important career achievement (CoE news, CS news).
- Nov. 2014: Our paper has been selected as the BEST STUDENT PAPER AWARD at ACM International Conference on Underwater Networks & Systems, Rome, Italy, Nov. 12-14, 2014 [Award Certificate].
- September 2014: Prof. Tom Hou has been named Bradley Distinguished Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering by the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors in recognition of his excellence in research, scholarship, teaching, and service (VT news).
- August 2014: Prof. Lou has been appointed a Program Director in the CNS division within the CISE directorate at the National Science Foundation.
- July 2014: Dr. Lou has accepted an invitation to serve on the editorial board of IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (TMC). TMC is a premier scholarly journal in the area of Mobile Computing.
- June 2014: Dr. Lou has been promoted to Full Professor (VT announcement).
- May 2014: Prof. Lou is named the 2014 Virginia Tech College of Engineering Faculty Fellow, in recognition of her extraordinary performance in research (photo, CoE news release, and CS news).
- April 2014:
Prof. Tom Hou's new book
Applied Optimization Methods for Wireless Networks has been published by Cambridge University Press.
This book is written in a unique style. It is a valuable resource for faculty, graduate students, and researchers in the communications and networking area whose work interfaces with optimization. It teaches you how various optimization methods can be applied to solve complex problems in wireless networks.
- April 2014: Prof. Lou delivered a keynote address titled "Toward Privacy-Assured Searchable Cloud Data Services", at International Workshop on Security and Privacy in Big Data (BigSecurity 2014), collocated with IEEE INFOCOM 2014, in Toronto, Canada.
- Dec 2013: Dr. Lou has accepted an invitation to serve on the editorial board of Journal of Computer Security (JCS). JCS is a top journal in the area of computer security that presents research and development results of lasting significance in the theory, design, implementation, analysis, and application of secure computer systems.
- Nov. 2013: Prof. Tom Hou has been named an IEEE Fellow for contributions to modeling and optimization of wireless networks. The status of Fellow is one of the most prestigious honors of the institute, bestowed upon less than one-tenth of one percent of the annual voting membership of IEEE. See Virginia Tech College of Engineering news release.
- October 2013: IEEE CNS 2013 took place Oct 14-16 in Washington DC area. Check out this conference at IEEE CNS website and a brief introduction at IEEE ComSoc Blog.
- July 2013: Our research paper "Bicriteria optimization in multi-hop wireless networks: Characterizing the throughput-energy envelope" has been selected as the Spotlight Paper for the September 2013 issue of the IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing! The paper will be highlighted on the journal home page and will be available to the public for free for 30 days. If you'd like to download the paper, you can access the journal's home page located at http://www.computer.org/tmc.
- July 2013: Prof. Lou delivered a keynote address titled "Toward Privacy-Assured Data Services in Cloud Computing", at International Workshop on Network Forensics, Security and Privacy (NFSP), collocated with IEEE ICDCS 2013, in Philadelphia, PA.
- June 2013: Prof. Lou delivered a keynote address on "Wireless Security and Privacy: From Crypto-based Protection to Cross-Layer Security Enhancement", at IEEE Workshop on Security and Privacy of Mobile, Wireless, and Sensor Networks (MWSN), collocated with IEEE SECON 2013, in New Orleans, LA.
- May 2013: Our paper "Privacy-preserving multi-keyword text search in the cloud supporting similarity-based ranking", authored by W. Sun, B. Wang, N. Cao, M. Li, W. Lou, Y.T. Hou, and H. Li, received the distinguished paper award at ACM ASIACCS 2013.
- April 2013: Prof. Tom Hou was honored with the Dean's Award for Excellence in Research at the annual Virginia Tech College of Engineering Dean's Award ceremony. See photo and news release.
- January 2013: Following a special election held by IEEE, Prof. Tom Hou has been duly elected and officially appointed by the IEEE Communications Society as the new Chair of IEEE INFOCOM Steering Committee, effective January 8, 2013. IEEE INFOCOM is a top conference in communication networking. Recently, Google Scholar has ranked INFOCOM as the top publication venue among all journals and conferences in the field of computer networks & wireless communications! Congratulations to Tom on serving this important post in the research community! More detail can be found here...
- December 2012: Our research paper "Scalable and secure sharing of personal health records in cloud computing using attribute-based encryption" has been selected as the Spotlight Paper for the January 2013 issue of the IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems! The paper will be highlighted on the journal home page and will be available to the public for free for 30 days. If you'd like to download the paper, you can access the journal's home page located at http://www.computer.org/tpds.
- August 2012: Dr. Lou is a founding member of the new IEEE security conference -- IEEE CNS. She is serving as the TPC Co-Chair of the first IEEE CNS conference. CNS 2013 will be held in Washington DC in October 2013. This new conference is a spin-off of IEEE INFOCOM, a top networking conference, and positioned to be a top conference focusing on communications and network security. For more information about CNS, click here.
- June 2012: Dr. Hou has been promoted to a Full Professor. More detail...
- April 2012: Ning Cao has accepted a Software Engineer position from Research & System Infrastructure: Cloud Platform, Google, Mountain View, CA. Congratulations, Ning !
- April 2012: The book that was co-edited by Prof. Hou, Cognitive Radio Communications and Networks: Principles and Practices (Academic Press/Elsevier, 2010. ISBN: 978-0-12-374715-0), was selected by IEEE Communications Society as one of the Best Readings in Cognitive Radio.
- Jan 2012: Dr. Lou has accepted an invitation to serve on the editorial board of IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS), starting Jan 2012. TPDS is an IEEE Computer Society journal and among the most reputable journals in the area of parallel and distributed systems. In addition to this new editorial appointment, Dr. Lou is also serving on the editorial board of IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Elsevier Computer Networks, and Springer Wireless Networks.
- November 2011:: We are now CNSR -- The Complex Networks and Security Research Lab. The CNSR lab is a merger of the Complex Network System Lab led by Professor Hou and the Cyber Security Lab led by Professor Lou. CNSR draws upon the expertise of both groups and expects to be more productive and of higher impact in the research community.
- October 2011: Dr. Hou was recently appointed as an editor for the IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC) —Cognitive Radio Series, effective January 2012. This is a new series of JSAC special issues launched by the IEEE Communications Society and is solely devoted to cognitive radios. The series serves as a platform for communicating state-of-the-art cognitive radio research, highlighting the research challenges that remain unanswered, and further exploring innovative solutions for resolving them. In addition to his new editorial appointment, Dr. Hou also serves as an area editor of the IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications (supervising about a dozen editors in the wireless network and systems area), an associate editor of the IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, and a Technical Editor of IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine.
- August 2011: Prof. Lou joins Virginia Tech as an Associate Professor with tenure.
Return to Skip Menu