Dr. Y. Thomas Hou
Dr. Wenjing Lou
The Complex Networks and Security Research (CNSR) Lab at Virginia Tech was founded in 2011 by Professors Tom Hou and Wenjing Lou. The mission of the CNSR@VT lab is to conduct basic and applied research in a broad range of topics in networking, wireless, and cyber security. We explore novel concepts and ideas related to protocols and systems of the future pervasive cyber infrastructure, and design scalable architecture and trustworthy protocols for next-generation networks.
Current Research Interests
There are two main research thrusts at CNSR@VT:
Wireless Networks Research
- Mathematical Modeling and Theoretical Foundation: Interference cancellation modeling and analysis, MIMO ad hoc networks, cognitive radio ad hoc networks, wireless energy transfer
- Network Optimization: Large-scale, discrete and continuous non-convex optimization problems that arise from cross-layer optimizations involving advanced physical layer technologies
- Algorithm and Protocol Design: Provably optimal and near-optimal algorithms, distributed algorithms and light weight protocols for wireless networks (e.g., ad hoc and sensor networks, multi-hop cooperative communications, opportunistic routing, network coding)
Cyber Security Research
- Wireless Security: security and privacy in wireless networks and mobile computing, confidentiality and authentication, anonymization and information privacy, cognitive radio networks security, cross-layer methods for security enhancement, location privacy
- Information Security in Cloud Computing: outsourced data privacy, auditing, search over encrypted data, computation outsourcing privacy
- Security and Privacy in Cyber-physical Systems: e-healthcare systems and smart grid
- August 2015: Prof. Hou has been elected as a Member-at-Large (MAL) in the 2015 IEEE Communications Society (ComSoc) election. In this position, he will be a voting member in the ComSoc Board of Governors during 2016-2018. (Election Results) Prof. Hou greatly appreciates the tremendous support that he received from his colleagues and friends in this ComSoc election.
- July 2015: Former CNSR research scientist, Dr. Shiwen Mao, has been appointed as the Director of the Wireless Engineering Research and Education Center at Auburn University. He has also been named as the Samuel Ginn Endowed Professor in conjunction with the appointment (news release).
- May 2015: Prof. Lou received Virginia Tech College of Engineering Dean's Award for Research Excellence, in recognition of her extraordinary performance in research (CoE news release, and CS news).
- Jan. 2015: Prof. Hou has been named an IEEE Communications Society Distinguished Lecturer (DL) for 2015-2016. As a DL, Tom will present invited lectures on his research to some local chapters of the society.
- More News